I love a good salad. But I also like a hearty salad that fills me up. Especially when I am working. I always strive for the balance of flavors in my dishes and this is no exception. The fat from the avocado pair very well with the acid from the fresh orange juice in the dressing. You can make the broccoli and baked oranges ahead of time too and assemble later. I baked both the oranges slices and broccoli together on a parchment lined sheet (my favorite way of baking most days) to make it super easy.
After they were baked, I tossed the broccoli in a simple citrus dressing, then added the avocado and orange slices. As I was making this and snapping pictures, I noticed a broccoli thief in my midst. My nine year old daughter Mae kept coming in and sneaking pieces of roasted broccoli that had been tossed in the citrus dressing. I barely had enough to finish the recipe!
So for all of you eating light right now, here you go! xo
- 2 cups oven roasted broccoli (about 3 small heads)
- 1 cup sliced avocado (medium avocado)
- 4 slices oven roasted orange
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 Tbls fresh orange juice
- pinch salt
- On a parchment lined cookie sheet, place 3 small heads of broccoli broken into pieces. On the other side of the cookie sheet, place thin slices of fresh orange you have sliced as thin as possible. I tried for about 1/4 of an inch thick. Bake the sheet with both broccoli and orange slices at 375 for 20 minutes. You are looking for broccoli to start getting crispy and brown on edges. Take out of oven and let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk olive oil and orange juice together with a fork. Add pinch of salt and whisk again.
- Add 2 cups of your cooled roasted broccoli to the bowl and using your clean hands, toss well. Take four slices of your baked orange slices and cut into small pieces (around 2 inches). Toss into broccoli along with 1 cup of sliced avocado. Taste for salt.