Jerky is so versatile. Perfect for trips, lunches, snacks, gifts and late-night snacks. I wanted to make mine with just a hint of fruit sweetness. But the real flavor of jerky is umami. Umami lights up the glutamate receptors in the brain and are part of the big 5 flavors along with sweet, sour, salty and bitter. AIP snacks are something I get asked about constantly. This jerky was quite easy and I used the food dehydrator to do all the work!
Freezing the meat and cutting it across the grain are tricks to getting jerky right as far as technique goes. But the flavor portion of AIP jerky is a different story. I decided to blend blackberries, smoked salt, onion and coconut aminos as a marinade. It worked beautifully! A totally full bodied taste with enough sweet and salt. I let the beef sit in the marinade in the refrigerator overnight and then dehydrated the strips for 7-8 hours. Perfection!
- 2 pounds beef (I used grass fed Sirloin Tip)
- 1/2 pint blackberries
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp smoked salt
- 3 Tbls coconut aminos
- Freeze beef for 2 hours. Remove from freezer and on a cutting board, slice meat as thin as you can against the grain.
- In a blender, add salt, aminos, blackberries and onion. Blend until smooth.
- Add meat and marinade in bowl. With clean hands or a spoon blend well. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for 10 hours. Remove from refrigerator and with clean hands remove excess marinade off strips. Place 2 inches apart on lined dehydrator sheets.
- Set on highest heat setting (115 degrees) and dehydrate for 7-8 hours.